The Opera and Ballet Theatre opened 170 years ago, in April of 1851. The National Archives of Georgia published a historic photo.
Illustrations are from the French L'illustration Journal Universel, October 25, 1851. An article accompanies the illustrations on the opening of the Opera and Ballet Theatre by French diplomat Edmond de Barrère.
The theater, which could accommodate 700 spectators, was located at today's Freedom Square in Tbilisi. Italian architect Giovanni Scudieri designed the building, and artist Grigori Gagarin designed the interior.
The building was destroyed by fire on October 11, 1874. The publication is preserved in the National Archives of Georgia.