According to the representatives of Tbilisi Energy Company, it has not been notified of unpleasant odor produced by the natural gas or any other malfunction by residents of the residential building on Tevdore Mgvdeli Street where the explosion occurred today.
"As you know, winter is approaching and citizens are starting use of gas heaters. We do warn each and every citizen suspecting that their heaters may be improperly installed in their apartments to call us; if the equipment proves harmless, it will obviously remain there; however, in the event of any kind of threat, it will be removed from the flat. Each citizen must remember that in accordance with the current legislation, they are responsible for gas pipeline safety, and we do ask them to care about their as well as other's lives. And once again I will specify that no messages have been sent from this address to us," declares representative of the PR Service of Tbilisi Energy Company Natia Mikashvili.
The explosion occurred on the fifth floor of a residential building on #38 Tevdore Mgvdeli Street at around 21:00. The fifth floor of the building was leveled to the ground. A 77-yer-old man was severely injured from the explosion; he has been taken to hospital and placed at resuscitation department.